Thursday, March 20, 2014

Venturing Back into Film | Eaton Ohio Photographer

I can't begin to explain how excited I was to take Black and white Darkroom Photography I. I'm on the path to obtaining a simple photographic technology certificate at Sinclair Community College here in Dayton, OH. I have this grand plan in mind, and it all starts with getting back to the roots. So I was really excited to start my B&W venture. From here I will have many more classes, film and digital. I hope to never lose sight of this fun and amazing craft {that is film photography :)}

I was lucky to find this community, Film Mama. They have a facebook group and also they are on Google+. I follow them both. We have all joined in a fun Blog Circle so please visit everyone!! After you've seen what I have been up to please move on to Jessica Svoboda and see what her Journey Into Film has been like for her!

I have my Pentax k1000 with a 50 mm lens still from High school. First there are my contact sheets. This is where I realize things are very hit or miss for me. This has been an eye opening realization! See below...
 
Eventually my processing of the film got better. I had a hard time using the reels from Adorama that had the clips. I finally got ahold of some Hewes reels that had the hooks to hold the film sprockets! But my images were wonky. Very hit or miss on my exposure. Being in the dark room is so much fun for me. It's relaxing, but honestly even this morning I've had a hard time coming to grips with the idea that I am still learning! This is WHY I'm in CLASS for this.

I've got the basics down pat. I can mix my chemicals, process my film, develop my prints... photographing in film is definitely more precise. I love that it slows me down and takes me back to the scientific side. It makes me photograph with INTENTION and visualizing shots and pulling everything together feels so great. The following images are from the contact sheet bottom. In the film they are overexposed and barely there, but when I scanned them I was able to bring them back and ended up with the following: 
{Taken with my Pentax K1000 - 50mm f/2 - Kodak TMax 400}
 








Please please visit everyone in our circle. They are an amazing group of ladies whose work speaks for itself! Jessica Svoboda - My Journey into Film

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We have the same camera, Sarah! Lovely work!

March 20, 2014 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great work, I really love these!

March 20, 2014 at 1:05 PM  
Blogger Jessica Svoboda Photography said...

Yay! Another Pentax k1000 user! woohoo! :) beautiful pictures and I'm looking forward to seeing more from you! :)

March 20, 2014 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so good!!! love it!

March 20, 2014 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...


These are all so great! I love the tones and the fact that you are in the darkroom is so cool!

March 20, 2014 at 9:12 PM  
Blogger Léa said...

I love these and I am so impressed by your developing skills!

March 20, 2014 at 11:29 PM  
Blogger Léa said...

PS: and I also use a Pentax (ME super) and K5 (DSLR). :-)

March 20, 2014 at 11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home